Skip to main content

R. Kelly’s songs that resonate with Nigerians

 

R. Kelly’s songs that resonate with Nigerians


R.Kelly



R Kelly, a well-known American R&B musician, was given a 30-year prison term this week for abusing helpless women and youngsters for years while benefiting financially from his popularity.

Many of Kelly's songs are well-known in Nigeria, where he is jokingly referred to as the "King of RnB." On Saturday Beats, we examine some of his songs that are still popular in Nigeria.

Track "Trapped in the Closet"


The music series "Trapped in the Closet" tells the tale of a one-night stand that started off a series of events that progressively exposed a larger web of lies and deceit. The 33-chapter song series was published between 2005 and 2012. Although it had no explicit material, it was a significant hits.

Take a Step in the Name of Love


Step in the Name of Love by R. Kelly is a song that many wedding guests can easily relate to because it was a standard at many weddings.

The song, which promotes closeness, points out that even if falling in love can be difficult, it is still a lovely emotion that can make people happy.

This song is both inspirational and gospel in character, and it can be found on the 2004 album "Happy People/U Saved Me." The song highlights tales of people overcoming challenging circumstances.

Many Nigerians found solace in the song because it reminded them that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what they may be going through. Additionally, it supports the adage "When there is life, there is hope."

Best in the World


Although it was only made available as a single in November 2001, "Ali," a film about legendary boxer Mohammed Ali, utilized it as its music (formerly Cassius Clay).

The song, which essentially comprised affirmations of one's own life, was frequently played at the conclusion of sporting events, graduations, and other times of success. I'm that star in the sky, I'm that mountain peak up high, Hey I made it, hmm, I'm the greatest in the world, according to some of the song's lyrics.


"I Believe I Can Fly"

I Believe I Can Fly, which was included on the soundtrack for the 1996 movie Space Jam, served as many Nigerians' first exposure to R. Kelly. The song, which is among the singer's most popular songs, later developed into a sort of anthem that was chanted by both young and elderly.

I believe I can fly/I believe I can touch the sky/ I think about it every night and day/ Spread my wings and fly away/ I believe I can soar/ I imagine me racing through that open door/ I believe I can fly are some of the song's lyrics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Name tag

 

Power generation drops, Discos, FG battle for control

 Dropping power generation, discos and FG fighting for control An intense conflict has developed between the Discos and the government as a result of Fidelity Bank's planned acquisition of three power distribution businesses and the Federal Government's restructuring of two further companies. Through the Bureau for Public Enterprise, the Federal Government is supporting Fidelity Bank's acquisition of the three Discos. Findings reveal that Discos have continued to file new lawsuits in an effort to avoid being taken over by the government and the bank. Power sector specialists have praised and criticized both parties in response to the development, which has divided industry players. It was noted on Monday that electricity generation on the national grid fell by around 141.3 megawatts as compared to what was recorded on the system on July 9, 2022, despite the fact that industry stakeholders expressed a variety of opinions on the trend. According to data our reporter got from ...

News

 IGP lauds electorate, security operatives in Ekiti Usman Baba, the Inspector-General of Police, has praised the electorate, police officers, and other security personnel who helped secure the governorship election in Ekiti State. Baba praised the electorates in Ekiti State for collaborating with the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies throughout the election, according to Muyiwa Adejobi, the Force Police Public Relations Officer. "The IGP praised the efforts of the police officers deployed for the polls under the direct supervision of the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of election security, DIG Johnson Kokumo, who hailed the peaceful conduct of the elections," he added. "According to the IGP, the police personnel acted professionally and humanely, establishing trust with the people, andIn a similar vein, Adejobi stated that the Police Service Commission, which supervised the election, affirmed that it was peaceful and orderly. According to a s...